Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Candied Bacon Waffles (of Insane Greatness)


So I got to thinking after that Sunday post a while back that maybe you guys would be interested in my breakfast-making skills, if said breakfast was particularly awesome.  So I made waffles with bacon.  Except instead of a neat little stack of bacony goodness on the plate next to my waffles, I just put the bacon right INSIDE the waffles. With brown sugar.  Yes, they are amazing. Let me show you.

When I was a kid I went absolutely bonkers when mom even THOUGHT about making waffles for breakfast.  That old waffle iron of ours, outside edges ever-so-crusty with the remains of waffle breakfasts gone by, was a thing of joy for me. I would sit at the table, mouth watering, barely able to contain myself when the first fluffy waffles came sliding onto my plate.  I kept things simple then, just a smear of salty yellow butter on top of my waffles suited me just fine.

Years passed, and my love affair with waffles cooled. Nowadays I am usually satisfied with cold cereal and a glass of orange juice. Breakfast is all about convenience for me these days, especially during the week when it's all I can do to drag myself out of bed and make sure my socks match for work. But every now and then I get a wild hair and that's exactly how these delicious pork masterpieces came to be!



Bacony recipe after the jump!


Candied Bacon


5-6 strips bacon
1/3 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil -- trust me, you want to do this for the sake of your sanity at clean-up time. Place a metal rack onto the baking sheet and lay your strips of bacon on the rack.  Sprinkle each slice of bacon with brown sugar liberally, and place the whole shebang in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, checking frequently. The bacon will be dark brown and glossy when done.  **Tip: If you get impatient after 25 minutes and crank the heat up to 350, you'll regret it. I learned from experience.

Candied Bacon Waffles (of Insane Greatness)
recipe adapted from Breakfast Girl

candied bacon, chopped
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 cups buttermilk (or plain milk with 2 tbsp vinegar added)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together your dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients to your bowl. Mix together just until most of the big lumps are gone. Let the batter sit for at least 10 minutes, then gently fold in your bacon. Ladle the bacon batter onto your hot waffle iron (no need to grease the waffle iron), close the lid and bake according to your iron's directions.

Serve with warm maple syrup. Perfect combo with bacon, imho.


Oh, and even though these take a little while to make the first time around, if you make a big batch and stash them in the freezer you're just a 1 minute zap in the microwave away from reliving that delicious bacony bite.

9 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Soooooo sinfully delicious! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recipe...sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how good these are, seriously! Maybe it depends on the thickness of the bacon/cooking time, but all the bacony bits in my waffles so so chewy and yummy! Great texture, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to make sure my husband has a copy of this recipe. Mother's Day is coming up and he usually makes me waffles...would love him to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! You JUST went there... LOVE it! Bookmarked to try!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Thanks bunches, Mary! I am sure you won't be disappointed with this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made these for dinner on Mother's Day and I felt like the luckiest mother alive. We will probably make these regularly for the rest of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe so much, Jan! They are definitely a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete